Friday 5 August 2011

Take Me Home Tonight

 *1/2 out of ****

 I admit to being somewhat of a sucker for era-comedies that are sure to evoke nostalgia out of their target audience. I enjoyed 2010’s “Hot Tub Time Machine”, which is some sort of comedic homage to the 1980’s. I won’t say that the film was completely drenched in inspiration or admiration for the good ol’ 80’s, but it worked, and dare I say, it was funny. The film has become a major guilty pleasure for me, but then again, I do actually believe that it’s a well-cast and hilarious piece of work. “Take Me Home Tonight”, yet another 80’s-era-modern-comedy, attempts to do all the same things that “Hot Tub Time Machine”, but due to a lack of truly raunchy charm, it underachieves.

     I don’t mind raunchy comedies. Often times, the truly raunchy comedies are the work of true comedy geniuses who know how to write profane but clever dialogue. I suppose this movie would have been an enjoyable and thoroughly funny one if it had not only embraced the 80’s as its era, but also if it had been attached to a better writer and a better director. There’s absolutely no inspiration here. Those who grew up in the 80’s may be a little more sympathetic than I am as a critic, but real movie-goers who are serious about even their comedies will probably find little funny or clever about the movie, because in spite of what it’s TRYING to do, “Take Me Home Tonight” has almost nothing going for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment